Scott's Going

Friday, January 26, 2007

Reflections and Projections

So I’m back in London now after a 3-week excursion to lil ol NZ. I feel so much better after the break and am excited about the year ahead. Not that I wasn't feeling good last year, but a decent holiday has helped me relax a bit and come back with a renewed focus of what I want to do here in London/UK/Europe.

After spending a few more days in Hawkes Bay after the wedding, Mum kindly lent me her car and I headed down to Wellington for four nights. I stopped off in Waikanae for the first night to visit an old workmate and his family and spent the rest of the time generally chillin’ with my friends around central Wellington with a few excursions out to the Hutt to check out new pads, old pads and the golf course. I managed to fit 5 games of golf in while home, but I can’t claim my game got any better. The highlight was probably the BBQ/Party out the back of Chuck & Deb’s place where everyone came and rocked out to Odessa etc in the tiny dancefloor/lounge.

I loved going back to my favourite Deluxe Café on Kent Tce, and tasting what I think is the best coffee in the world made with the best Havana beans (which I brought back ¼ Kg of). Even though it was already my favourite, it was more to do with the coffee and the vibe than the food, but now they’ve even up’d their game in that area too which makes them better than ever. One thing about NZ café’s and Wellington specifically, is that it is much easier to get top quality healthy food with flare at a half decent price. Over here its way more of a pub culture than a café culture, so you’re more likely to meet up with friends at the local for a pint and a plate of bangers and mash. Not that I don’t appreciate the odd pint or six, but it is nice to have the option in NZ for an alcohol free non-artery clogging social liaison with friends.

As I drove out of Wellington I felt pangs of sadness for leaving the city I hadn’t really missed too much until I went back there. But with renewed conviction I say it’s definitely my favourite city of New Zealand and after doing some travelling, holds its place as one of the coolest in the world. What I miss the most: Radio Active, Deluxe, The Embassy, film festivals, Cuba St, freaks, Real Groovy, Scorching Bay, Mt Vic, Botanical Gardens concerts, Odessa, Hell Pizza (where it all began) and obviously my great group of friends there.

In general I found the whole way of life more relaxed in NZ without having to spend literally hours on public transport to get to where you want to go. Of course there weren’t as many activities and new places to visit pulling me around either. I haven’t been back in the country a week yet and I’ve already got a full weekend ahead with drinks for Australia day tonight, a day trip to Cambridge tomorrow and a bike ride to Windsor on Sun. Plus I just booked tickets to see Ozzy Osbourne live at Wembley Arena in June. I'm trying to focus on activites more active/sporting in nature this year and plenty of travelling to make the most of my time here. At the moment I aim to visit Prague, Scotland, Spain, Stuttgart and Paris this year...

So – in summary I loved my time back in NZ where I spent time with my much missed family and friends in Hawkes Bay, Wellington, Auckland, Thames and even Gisborne, but at the same time love being back here with a fresh spirit to tackle the year ahead.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gonna be hiring a Porsche in Stuttgart? If so, give me a call!

1:52 pm  
Blogger SAS said...

Ideally Porsche will be hiring me in Stuttgart!

1:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PORSCHE IN STUTTGART!!! juhuuu!!!! ja wir sollten einen porsche in stuttgart mieten und damit durch die stadt cruisen!
denn: wir sind die coolsten wenn wir cruisen, wenn wir durch die city duesen:)Anna

Hola!! yo tambien quiero ir en un cochazo por la ciudad! Please call us as soon as you get it! ahahah Raquel

WE NEED CAMBRIDGE!
See u in the NZ dinner!

10:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home