Scott's Going

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Dad's not going to be very happy about this

My flatmate and I went to Ikea this morning to buy some kitset furniture for my room. It was my first visit to the mega size store where you can buy everything you’d ever need for your house. It ranges from cheap to medium priced and the reason it's so popular is that it's all relatively styley (personal preferences aside). You walk around and take note of the 4 digit serial number of what you want to buy then go through to the stores area and pick the 'flat packed' version up and pay.

Dad, being a craftsman of fine solid wooden furniture, is not a fan of kitset furniture funnily enough. I'm sorry Dad, but my flatmate bought it for me - I had no choice in the matter.

I assembled the little bedside cabinet this afternoon. As much as I like making furniture, this experience wasn't fulfilling in the least. It is crap quality, highlighted by the fact that when taking the Sellotape off a bundled set of components, it actually pulled off a small area of paper-thin veneer. Luckily it's not too noticeable. Also, a piece of thin board for the back was missing from the pack. Typical. Luckily it’s a non-required part, but it will compromise the rigidity somewhat.

I wonder what’s in store when I assemble the chest of drawers….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home