Scott's Going

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Golden Smile

What do dogs and motorcycles have in common? Not much on the face of it, but for me, they're both ways to talk to strangers.


I used to like the fact that when I rode motorcycles, it's like I was in a brotherhood of sorts. Like truckers, I'd give other bikes a wave out on the open road and if I saw a rider by his bike on the street, it's easy to bowl on up and start chatting. Motorcyclists like to talk about their bikes. It was a way to talk to the type of people I'd have never had the chance to ordinarily. Now I know it's not exclusive to motorcyclists - these bonds occur everywhere from skateboarders, surfers, musicians, farmers and countless others - but this is the way I knew. Not having ridden for a while now, I kinda miss that 'in' to a conversation with strangers.

I was walking around to the dairy (i get hassled for calling it that here) this evening and saw a guy walking a little dog like my family used to have. Mitzie was a Miniature Fox Terrier and we loved her and had so much fun with her. So every time I see a similar dog it reminds me of Mitzie and makes me smile. So I caught up with the guy and his little dog, which was bounding along like puppies do, trying to smell everything and take the exciting world in. When I got up to him, I saw he had some serious tattoos on his arms so didn’t seem like the type who would be seen with a dog like this, more likely a bull dog or other ugly animal. So I pet the dog a bit and asked him what breed it was and it turned out to be a Jack Russell and there aren’t many Foxies over here. I got a bit of a surprise when I saw the guy had all his teeth gold plated. I tend to look at regular peoples teeth while they talk, so definitely had trouble not looking at this guys mouth ‘bling’. But it was nice to have a quick chat to a stranger about his little friend. The sort of encounter that can turn a walk around the corner into something I’m still thinking about 3hrs later. I hope I meet more strangers with a golden smile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home